Pages

Search For More Entertainment News

Sunday, May 30, 2010

How does Sonam Kapoor prepare for new roles?



One of Hindi cinema’s bright new star. She is two films old and one is going to see quite a bit of her this year, infact there are two films lined up for release by the time the year is over. The new star on the block Sonam Kapoor, daughter of  Anil Kapoor is in an exclsuive interview with CNBC-TV18's Anuradha Sengupta.
Below is the verbatim transcript of the interview. Also watch the accompanying video for the full interview.
Q: Sonam quickly run us through the two films that we are going to see; one is I Hate Luv Storiesand Ayesha. Run us through the two films.
A: Well I Hate Luv Stories is produced by Dharma Productions, directed by Puneet Malhotra and its starring opposite Imran Khan. It’s a romantic comedy and a feel good film. Ayesha is produced under the banner of PVR Cinemas and AKFC which is my father’s production company and produced by my sister Rhea Kapoor. It’s starring Abhay Deol opposite me and is based on Jane Austen’s Emma.
Q: How are you picking your films?
A: Well if I like the script, story, and my character. Also if I feel the director has a vision then I go for it.
Q: You are working on some other films as well even as these two get ready to release. How is the film industry looking at someone like you. By that I mean the kind of roles, what is the kind of work that is coming your way?
A: Well surprisingly I have never got in a role which is similar to which I have done before. I started off with Sakina then I got Bittu which is Saawariya and Delhi 6 for those who don’t know. Then I am doing an Ayesha in which I play a quintessential upper middle class spoilt brat and then I have Simran who is a upper middle class girl who comes from Juhu. Now I am playing Iaat in Mausam and I have Thank You in which I play a married women so there are different different roles. I don’t know how people are looking at me and what they see in me but I know there is a quality that couple of people have remarked on is where they feel I look different in every space or in every magazine shoot that I do and they feel that I have a chameleon-like quality which is a huge compliment for an actor.
Q: You started your career as a director. Everybody knows that famous story by now isn’t it that you were assisting Sanjay Leela Bhansali and you were a fat girl, you were an assistant director. Most people know this story that he saw you and said you should be acting and then eventually he did offer you Saawariya and then you did it. Don’t you require two totally different approaches to be in front of camera and to be behind the camera?
A: Well it’s a part of film making, movie making, direction and acting. I mean acting is creating as well you are creating; you are using your body as a tool to create something it’s like dancing you are saying a story with who you are as a character, it is covering the character, its just a different medium. I mean painting, dancing, acting, directing, writing they are all creative
Q: No I am not denying that actors can be creative or are creative but the thing is that it’s a different kind of creativity. As an actor you are an exhibitionist isn’t it? You are or you need to accept that you are an exhibitionist isn’t it?
A: Hope I am not streaking down the streets soon, that’s an exhibitionist.
Q: But you know what I mean?
A: Yes I know what you mean. Well you are playing a role and you are not playing yourself so you are actually not an exhibitionist because that’s not who you are right.
Q: But do you think movies really allow you a chance to be anybody else?
A: Well I haven’t played myself yet. Every art form has a reflection of who you are. That’s why painters paint. Every director will direct a film and its his voice right it’s always going to be my voice but its me creating different characters through my voice.
Q: Did you have to change the way you approach things as a result of moving your interest from being a director some day to an actor today?
A: I was 17 and I didn’t really think of it that much when I was 17 years old. I was very very young and I was quite arrogant. I thought actors are puppets and directors are puppeteers and I rather be the puppeteer than the puppet.
Q: So you changed?
A: It took Sanjay a year to convince me to become a part of his film and when I did start acting or when I faced the camera I realised that was my calling. There is a different energy and a different power to it. It’s beautiful; it’s like being a soloist performer and making music. It’s almost like making music. I would love to make films because I like telling stories but I think I will make films as a writer not as a director because I can’t be the captain of the ship I am not much of a leader.

0 comments:

Post a Comment